The Rise and Fall of Heroes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise and Fall of Heroes

Demigods play by post RPG

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Life Turned Upside Down

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

A Life Turned Upside Down Empty
PostSubject: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyThu May 31, 2018 11:57 am

Alexis stared at the giant bull that had chased her through the archway for a few more moments. Part of her was convinced that the glowing blue wall would not be there any more at each next attempt the minotaur made to get through it, but she was proven wrong every time. When her senses had been satisfied that she was safe here she finally got some of her courage back. Alexis stuck out her tongue at the minotaur, did a catch-me-if-you-can dance, then turned and almost skipped down the dirt road ahead of her leaving the giant bull, the archway, and the strange glowing wall behind her.

As she walked down the dirt road she mindlessly reached into her purse and pulled out a lollipop. She always carried a supply and she hardly even noticed it any more when she was eating one, it was pretty much all the time. Her mom always got upset about it and kept going on about how the lollipops would give her cavities. Alexis had never had any cavities, but she had stopped using that argument against her mother as it only appeared to make her more upset and Alexis never wanted to spend any time she could spend with her mother arguing. The dirt road was long and winding and it seemed like it was never going to lead anywhere. Alexis though about turning around and going back once or twice, but the thought of the minotaur was enough to wipe that idea from her mind instantly.

Then, when she rounded another corner, Alexis came upon a clearing. In the clearing stood a giant tent made of brown cloth. It looks sort of like a circus tent, but less cheerful without all the bright colors. The lack of trailers around it gave the place an abandoned feeling. Though as she closed in on the tent she could hear music coming from inside. As she reached the opening she looked around for a place to knock or a bell to ring, though naturally neither existed. So instead she took a few steps into the massive tent, though not enough to be considered invasive or impolite. She took her lollipop out of her mouth and her voice rang out “Hello? Is there anybody here?” followed by a mumbled “wherever here may be”.
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyThu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm

Faustus was brooding.

He had his magically animated instruments playing a melodious tune to help bring his thoughts out of the darkness which they so often slipped into. He just couldn't get past how he had failed so utterly.

"Those poor demigods, they have no idea what they signed up for....he will devour them whole." He muttered under his breath, tears coming to his eyes.

Just as he was about to reach for his goblet of solace, he heard a female voice call out.

A second chance?

He jumped up from his couch, smoothed his black business suit with a quick zap of magic and headed for the tent opening. All traces of his former gloomy nature forgotten as he approached the girl who loitered around the large circus tent opening.

His eyes focused and his vision enhanced. Her aura had shadows dancing around her and she had a wicked looking scythe...the most deadly of farming implements, and for a moment he saw someone else's face....someone who threatened to ruin his newfound joy. He banished the specter of the past and pressed forward. Forward to new hope.

"Why hello there miss, a pleasure to meet you."

He offered her a courtiers' bow.

"My name is Faustus Epicurus, I am the sole owner and tenant of this establishment. This is my home"

He motioned about the large collection of pillows and couches. The assortments of antique furniture, knickknacks and brickabrack. He made a flourish with his hands, and a crudely drawn map appeared. He handed it to her.

"And this is The Oasis. A safe place for demigods like yourself. Please, come sit and be comfortable."

He offered her a seat on an old style reclining couch from Rome.

"Would you like some refreshment?"

He summoned a small wind spirit which appeared next to her and held out a small menu to her.

"I am so glad to have new demigods here! Please when you're ready, tell me all about your journey here."

He smiled genuinely.

This girl could mean so much. There might be hope after all.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyThu May 31, 2018 1:59 pm

Alexis turned to her right when an older man in a classy black business suit walked up to her and bowed. That’s a little strange, who bows to people instead of shaking their hand? Though she didn’t want to be rude since she was the one who walked into his tent, so she should adjust to his customs. Alexis returned the man’s bow with a smile and a bow of her own, though somewhat stiffly and obviously not used to the movement.

“Hi Mr. Epicurus. My name is Alexis Silverston. It’s a pleasure to meet you too.”

As Faustus introduced the place as his home the tent’s illumination appeared to increase and her eyes were overwhelmed with the sight of countless antique collectables stacked on top of each other and beside each other. She saw old statues which had one day been glorious, but had now been damaged by the corrosive minerals in the rain water so that the detail was much harder to distinguish. There were old housekeeping and farming tools which she didn’t even recognize and several old weapons which Faustus apparently cared deeply for as they showed no signs of rust despite their exposure to the air and elements.

She was staring at all the possessions and her mind was starting to drift as her imaginations started attaching stories to each objects of families, farmers, soldiers, and noblemen who has possessed them once upon a time and what their lives had been like. Her attention was brought back to the here and now when she felt a piece of parchment brush against her hand. For another split second she remained in her dream state, then blinked intensely several times and looked back at Faustus to realize he was handing her a map. Alexis took the map from Faustus with a smile and a nod “thank you” and turned to look at it.

On the map she saw the archway through which she had entered and the tent where she was now, as well as several other structures. She put her lollipop back into her mouth as she examined the map further. The line from the archway to the tent was one of the shortest lines on the map and the handwriting was barely readable. I hope the distances on this map are not to scale alse there will be lots of long walks trying to get around this place, let’s hope they aren’t too big on punctuality if that’s the case.

Alexis sat down on one of the couches Faustus gestured to and put her thoughts about the map aside. There would be time to worry about distances and little drawn lines on a piece of paper later, for now she wanted to figure out what was going on. It was a good thing she decided to pay attention for a change otherwise she would have entirely missed Faustus’ next statement.

“Demi-what? I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about sir.”

Is this man mad? Perhaps I should have faced that bull-thing after all She considered getting up, making a polite excuse, and leaving. But something told her this was where she needed to be, so feeling inside her which she couldn’t explain.

A small high pitched yelp escaped her throat when a strange insubstantial creature appeared next to her holding what appeared to be a drink menu. It kind of reminded her of how children’s books describe a willow-the-wisp, but I didn’t glow. She wanted to order something from the menu, hell, after the day she’d had she deserved something to settle her nerves. But she remembered that her rent payment was due soon, and she had already left work today without a good reason, she wouldn’t get paid for today, she couldn’t throw money around like most other people. So without even taking the menu she looked at the spirit and said “just water please”.

She then turned back to Faustus. Should I tell him about the creatures? He seemed used to these things, so he wouldn’t think she was crazy, right? She took her lollipop back out of her mouth and began to speak.

“Well, it’s kind of strange. I was a work, inside an office building, on the 4th floor, when suddenly this crazy bird started attacking me. Though no-one else seemed to notice. So then I left the office building, but just a few blocks from the office I ran into this rat the size of a highschooler. So that’s when I ran to the train station and bought a ticket to the little town nearby thinking I would be able to get away from all those things when suddenly this giant bull like man comes storming around the corner and heading straight towards me. So I ran even harder, I ran into the forest. It was catching up with me until it suddenly hit this wall of blue light which it didn’t appear to be able to get through. And then when I followed this road I ended up here.”

As she spoke she used her hands to elaborate on her story and to indicate the sized of the creatures, lollipop still in hand as she waved her hands around. When she finished she put her lollipop back in her mouth. She knew her story sounded like clippings from a scrapbook, but she still had not been able to wrap her head around what happened, let alone been ready to tell somebody about all the weird stuff that had happened to her.
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyThu May 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Epicurus almost faltered upon hearing her name. It was so close to that name he dreaded.

Alexis....not Alex....the fates are cruel indeed.

He smiled, pretending he had some idea of what she was talking about.

These mortals and their modern inventions, so odd yet amusing. If only they could remember the grandeur that they had in their past...

"Oh yes, the monster will definitely try to kill you. Demigods are quite rare and prized by...well...anyways you need something more than water. There's no need to be frugal in this place of bounty!"

He snapped his fingers and the wind spirit reappeared.

"Bring our guest a cup of the best wine we have and a grand lunch."

The spirit went off in a hurry.

"Now, all that business with monsters is behind you, I'll explain a few things. First thing, you are a demigod....of hades if my eyes do not deceive me but we'll confirm later. You see only demigods can find this place, it's part of the magic I wield."

He smile broadened

"I can see you think I am mad, and it's true that I've lived much longer than is healthy for a human, but I am quite sane."

He kicked his feet up on the table

"So, you're a demigod, magic is real, monsters are real and gods are real. Oh and your mortal job will need to be abandoned as this is one of the few places that harbors demigods and the only one which is completely free. You can take up living in the House of your parent after the sorting ritual, so you'll have a place to stay and we serve food here in the Grand Hall whenever you require it, so your basic necessities are taken care of by myself and my fortune. I imagine this might be a bit much so I'll let you digest those things really quick. Just let me know when your paradigm knits itself back together. I'll just wait."

He hummed a little tune and the magical instruments started playing again. A soft and relaxing melody that exuded a calming spell.

I wonder how this one will react....

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyThu May 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Alexis was taken aback by Faustus’ casual attitude towards crazy monsters attacking her. There wasn’t anything normal about these creatures, this place, or anything else that was happening right now.

It’s a dream, yes, that’s it. It’s all just a very strange dream. I just need to wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up

Alexis squeezed her eyes shut for a few moments hoping the old man and the tent were gone when she opened them again. Hoping it would be just another dull day of going to work at the office. But when she opened her eyes again Faustus was still there. She let out a small sign of resignation as she leaned back against the couch again.

Right at that moment the spirit showed up again with a glass of wine which she now happily accepted. She wasn’t much of a drinker, but this situation required something to keep her strong. She wasn’t sure how much of the information that Faustus presented her with she would actually retain, but she tried to pay attention the best she could since all of this stuff was apparently real and could actually kill her.

Demigod? Hades? Isn’t Hades evil? Does that make me evil? Magic is real? Of course magic is real if Gods and Demigods are real you dummy. How long had Faustus actually lived then? No more going to the office? What of her apartment? What of her mom? How long until her mom got so worried about her disappearance that she would go to the police? Would the police be able to find this place? Probably not. Free food and drink? There had to be a catch, right? Or maybe not. Perhaps Faustus was just a kind hearted soul.

Alexis’ head was spinning with all the new information and she had trouble making sense of it and figuring out where it all fit in. She looked at Faustus again who looked comfortable as could be with his feet kicked up on the table while she could feel herself get a little nauseous. Perhaps alcohol hadn’t been such a smart choice after all.

Then the harp started playing its song and Alexis could slowly feel her nervousness ease. The soft melody reminded her of the songs her mom would sing when singing her to sleep when she was young. Just maybe she could deal with this after all. The tension in her muscles decreased and she returned to drinking her wine.

I always enjoyed playing characters when I was in theater. Is this really so different? I can just be this daughter of Hades he speaks of for a while. And if I don’t like it I can just leave. Free food and board isn’t so bad either. Maybe I can find some people like me.

Alexis continued to sip on her wine (her lollipop now sat practically forgotten in her left hand) as she tried to recall her history lessons about the Greek Gods, but she didn’t remember any more than Zeus, Hades, and Hercules and that was more from the movie than from her actual classes. She knew nothing about the Greek pantheon or any pantheon for that matter, but now it was all apparently a major part of her life.

She finished off her glass of wine, straightened her back, looked Faustus in the eyes and finally asked the question that she wanted answered the most, even though she dreaded what the answer might be. “If I’m a daughter of Hades, does that mean I’m evil? Alexis nervously stuck her forgotten lollipop back in her mouth and waited for Faustus to answer.
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 am

Epicurus smiled as his eyes saw the war raging within her. The constant vying for control over herself with the panic rising.

Her world has been shattered and she still fights, even with no idea of what anything means she fights....yes...this is the stuff that heroes are made of.

His eyes saw different colors and shades of the future. One where she remained happy and caring, one where she was killed by another unseen demigod and the final....

No...not you too...

He saw her innocence sour and ferment into boundless hatred. Hatred enough to join The Enemy. He shook his head to clear his vision.

I will not let this happen again. I will not leave things up to the fates. I will help this girl.

She had spoken to him, he had been so deep in thought that he hadn't heard. His perfect recall told him what she had asked.

"No, you are definitely not evil."

He took his feet down and stood up, going to her side. He took her hand gently in his two hands.

"You are a demigod, blessed with immense power...and most importantly choice. You can choose who you become and what legends they will write about you. Your father may be The Lord of the Underworld but you are your own distinct person. You have a good heart, loving and caring, always seeing the best in people. You are not evil."

He smiled softly at her, like a parent almost, or an elder trying to reassure a child.

"I can see you need help understanding things and I will do my utmost to help you. You will have an ally in me, and hopefully one day you will call me friend."

He was earnest, he was genuine. He wanted to help her, to stop her from becoming yet another of his many failures.

I may have failed Alex, but I will not standby and make the same mistake again. I will not fail you...Alexis..

He thought to himself with determination.

This time will be different. I will not stand idly by. I will act.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 am

Alexis was scared of the answer Epicurus might give to her question, but she knew she had to hear it. The fear intensified somewhat when he stood up, sat down beside her, and held her hand in that way people do in movies when they are about to give someone really bad news. But then, instead, he said the words she had been hoping to hear – you are not evil.

She let out a sigh of relief at those words and her eyes watered with the relief of the answers, though no tears rolled over her face. Her smile was as wide as it could be and before she had a chance to stop herself she gave Faustus a big bug. She needed a hug right now, this day had been stressful and maybe Epicurus was a complete stranger to her, but he was the only person here and more importantly, he was the only person who appeared to understand what she was going through. “Friend sounds good”. Alexis started to wonder if this was what it felt like to have a dad. Someone who reassures you when you’re down and holds your hand when you’re scared. It was impossible for her to figure out though as she had never had any father figure in her life.

After a few moments she let go and let Epicurus have his space again. Alexis felt much unburdened by Epicurus’ answer. She didn’t have change, she could still be the person she was now, independent of who her father might be. And now that there appeared to be no immediate threats to her life or her beliefs any more she was more open to learning about this place.

“So what is the Oasis Mr. Epicurus? How long has this place been here? How come only demigods can find it? And if I’m a demigod, does that mean I have powers and things?”

Her questions came one after the other following her train of thought. Her feelings now switching from fear and dread to excitement.

The her attention was drawn by the table full of food which apparently the wind spirit had set up without her notice and she suddenly realized that she hadn’t eaten all day and was very hungry. She got up from the couch and walked over to the table, but she didn’t recognize most of the foods. Due to their impoverished lifestyle food at her home had always been plain and simple, and eating out at a restaurant was only for very special occasions. Epicurus had said food was provided here, but she didn’t want to put something on her plate she didn’t like so she kept her plate simple with familiar looking foods – a greek salad, meat on skewers, and some grilled potato wedges. Her lollipop had finally run out, and since she wasn’t able to find a trashcan she stuck the little plastic lollipop stick in the back pocket of the work slacks she was still wearing.

At that realization she looked down at her clothes and realized her black flats had been completely ruined by the mud hat covered them and came halfway up to her knees on her slacks as well. The knees of her pants were covered in green grass stains, and her secondhand pink business shirt had a coffee stain on it from the woman she ran into at the train station. She could only imagine what mess her hair was, and when she reached up to fun her fingers through it she pulled out a couple small twigs and leafs.

Great first impression to make Alexis, way to go

As she ate one of the skewers she walked over to one of the piles of antiques. This one consisted of a table, several pillars, vases with artwork painted on them which appeared in superb condition, and several weapons. She turned to Epicurus again. “So what are these Mr. Epicurus? And why do you collect all these things in this tent?”

Then a thought hit her. “Do you live in this tent? Don’t you have a house? I thought you said everyone lives in a house?”
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Epicurus felt her embrace him and he rocked back a little shocked at the physical contact.

Damn foresight fails me again

He sighed and gave her a small hug back, waiting to be released from the odd human gesture. He heard her answer to his friend remark.

oh you silly girl, friendship isn't that easily given....you earn it....has so much knowledge and tradition really been lost?

"The Oasis is a magical home for demigods who seek shelter from the encroaching darkness. Here we offer a place to stay and better yourself. It's a place to rest, to grow, to learn. It's an adoptive home. It is my gift to the world."

He shuddered momentarily remembering some of the things he had to do in order to achieve this magnum opus.

breaking eggs to make omelets....and all that...you'd be proud of me father, and that is my growing shame....

"Demigods, monsters and gods can find this place with ease. Mortals however are blinded by what we call the Mist. And yes you do have powers...in fact if they haven't awakened we can awaken them with the ritual field and also get conclusive evidence of your parentage. We should make this first priority after we get you settled into your house..."

He trailed off as she went over to the food table. As she noticed her ruined clothing he went over to her.

"Don't worry we'll have to get you new clothes appropriate for the environment here. We have a very talented giant spider named Abyssal Trydas who can help get you fitted for armor and clothes etcetera."

As she wandered off to yet another part of the tent to his collection of junk.

"This is my area reserved for sorting. Its punishment for people who can't be civil. Go and sort the junk for X hours, or polish the knickknacks or other meaningless work. Its terrifying to spend part of your life wasting time. I think it will be a good deterrent."

She had such a fast paced mind and hunger for information he idly wondered if she was just a broody daughter of Athena.

"Yes, I live in this tent. Everyone has a house but me. Let's not dwell on that and let's go get you settled in your house!"

He tried to hurry her mentally along away from that subject. He didn't want to have to explain anything so complex and painful.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptyFri Jun 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Alexis felt much better about this place knowing that she already had a friend. Of course Epicurus was much older than her so friend may not exactly be the right word, perhaps a friendly father figure was a better word.

She took in the information much better now that her nerves were calmed and she listened to Epicurus’ words are the looked around the old objects. The instruments kept playing and continuing to touch the strings of her mind, assisting her own efforts to remain calm. Now that she wasn’t actively starting to panic any more the music had a much better effect and her demeanor had become completely relaxed.

An adoptive home and an “adoptive father”, this place didn’t sounds so bad. Perhaps it can make me feel whole.

Alexis has always believed that when she felt something was missing in her life it was her father. But perhaps she was wrong. Now that she had learned this information about the Oasis and Demigods, she started to wonder if it was a part of herself that had been missing all along, the part of her that was a Demigod.

At the offer of clothing her Alexis immediately refused. She put her plate aside for a moment and started rubbing at her shirt with a napkin in embarrassment. Her cheeks turned slightly red. Her mother had taught her to always look presentable, but she had stumbled upon Epicurus’ doorstep looking like a hot mess. She rubbed at the stain without result and gave up after a few moments.

“Oh no, that is quite alright I can just wash these and they will be fine, I promise. If I could just borrow your washing machine and use some detergent they it will all come out in the wash.”

Her embarrassment was joined by confusion at Epicurus’ next comment. A mild panic started to form again but was immediately suppressed by the music.

“Wait, armor? Why would I need armor? I though you said this was a safe place.”

She looked at the piles of stuff again and ran her finger over a shield which formed a line of slightly decreased dullness. She could see how cleaning and polishing would be a punishment to any young mind who wanted to spend their time having fun.

“I’m not so sure Mr. Epicurus. People waste an awful lot of time playing games on their cellphones and snooping around on social media. I think they quite enjoy wasting their time. Though the hard work involved in polishing and cleaning will likely still be considered punishment.”

Alexis looked at Epicurus questioningly.

“So you’ve built all of us houses, but not yourself? Why don’t you build yourself a nice house as well? I’m sure Mrs. Epicurus would love to have a nice house. All women enjoy nesting you know. And it’s kind of hard to nest and make a home in a giant tent that also functions as the storage closet for ancient artifacts.”

At the thought of houses she thought of the house she would live in again and with a small unnoticeable push her mind was moved away from the topic of Epicurus’ tent and back to her own situation.

“So when is this sorting ritual you have been telling be about? It would be kind of hard to get me settled in a house when I don’t even know what house I belong in, right?”

As she said these words she started wondering what the sorting ritual would be. She hoped that whatever it was, she would be able to pass it. Though she had made it here, to a place where only Demigods could arrive.

That meant something, right? If she could make it here that meant she belonged here. And if she belonged here, then she should be able to make it through the sorting as well.
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptySat Jun 02, 2018 12:00 pm

“I'm sorry my dear, but there's no such thing as a washing machine here. You'll have to wash your clothes in the river like normal people but I'll instruct a wind spirit to show you how and where we keep the lye. Also, unfortunately but your clothes will not recover themselves, after the damage you've inflicted on them running for your life. I'd say that a pair of clothes was a good trade for continued life.”

He sighed, of course she was too proud to accept help.

How much our Father's influence us even when they are not around.... he thought wistfully

“Armor, and weapons too....this is a safe place but you wouldn't want to stay in safety forever shunning your legend now would you? Are you really okay with not being remembered? Not having accomplished anything?”

He watched her look at the piles of stuff again and run her finger over a shield. He could see that the warrior blood in her veins was already starting to move her towards shields.

She has a small fire inside her, instead of the normal spark, and it is already calling her to action...to greatness...if only subconsciously. Amazing

“Please just call me either Faustus or Epicurus, no Mr. People waste an awful lot of time these days? They no longer hunger for glory? for honor? for wealth? How sad....how boring. The hard work involved in polishing and cleaning should not be considered punishment to the wise...as they polish the shields, the items, etc they polish themselves. This is meant to help give them some time for reflection and meditation upon their flaws. Afterall, it is our flaws that define us....our flaws and our strengths” He smiled at her.

Visions of fire, death, disappointment, and struggle of the recent past filled his mind. A picture of himself kneeling in the ashes of the blazing remains of his house, his dead wife in his arms looking at their children.

Alex.....Greg.....Summer....why?

"I had a house.....a wife....a family" His voice choked up for a moment

“My wife is dead. My home that we built together, burnt to the ground. I shall not love another, and I will have my revenge.” he said softly, his mood changing for a moment. Steel creeping into his voice at the last bit.

He summoned a wind spirit with a wave of his hand.

"The spirit will show you where to go....I....I must rest...." his voice cracking a little. "The House of Hades will only give you a room if you are of his blood....the spirit will contact me if that is not the case...."

He turned away from her, his shoulders shaking a little.

"Now please....go.....I'll be along to collect you for the ritual in a day or so....so you can rest. There will be fresh clothes in your room for you to wear.....if you need something, just ask one of the passing wind spirits and they will help you."
Back to top Go down
Alexis Silverston

Alexis Silverston

Character sheet
Powers:
Legendary Items:

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptySat Jun 02, 2018 5:24 pm

This man had no washing machine and no detergent, instead he washed his clothes in the river. But he appeared to have magic or something, and his hobby was collecting antique weapons. Somehow though, he was unable to magically conjure a washing machine or any other modern objects. Very odd. Epicurus genuinely was one of the most unusual people Alexis had ever met.

Looking down at her clothes again she had to admit that the old man was right, her clothes were beyond saving. Granted, her mother would probably try anyways and she would probably succeed too. But she was trusting Epicurus about this spider that could apparently spin her clothes. That might actually have to be her first stop after she left here.

“alright then. I will make sure to par Mr…? Mrs…? Trydas soon. Thank you kindly for the offer Mr. Epicurus.. And yes, I understand the need for armor, though I truly hope I will never need it but it will be good protection against all those crazy creatures out there. You are right, I do not want to be limited to this space here for the remainder of my life. And I would very much like to leave to visit my mother from time to time. She would worry about me if I didn’t contact her regularly.”

“Oh, okay sure Mr…., I’m sorry, Epicurus. I’m just not used to not referring to my elders with title. I will try my best to adjust though.”

Alexis finished her plate and put it aside. The food had been exceedingly flavorful and was very fulfilling. She then shook her head

“No, honor is not valued highly any more by the majority of people. And people sure don’t care about being remembered any more. They are all so absorbed by their own needs, and wellbeing that they care little about the world or others, they only care about their own comfort and advancement, no matter the cost.

Alexis felt guilty as Epicurus choked up. She hadn’t intended to touch on a sore subject. Her instincts told her to go and give her friend a hug, but he had appeared somewhat uncomfortable with the last hug and she didn’t want to make matters worse.

“I’m sorry Epicurus” she said in a small voice. “I didn’t mean to bring up any sore subject, I just assumed….” Her voice trailed off as she realized there really wasn’t anything she could say to make this situation less painful for him and awkward for her. So Epicurus gestured for her to leave she did not argue and instead made her way to the entrance of the tent.

“Thank you for your hospitality Epicurus. I hope to see you again soon.”

She then followed the wind spirit and stepped out of the tent back into the bright sunlight.

**Exit Alexis**
Back to top Go down
Faustus Epicurus

Faustus Epicurus

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 am

Epicurus sat alone in the tent, his grief threatening to overwhelm him, his hands shaking as he clutched an ornate pocket watch. It was golden with an eastern dragon inlaid on the cover. His wife had given it to him for the first anniversary of their marriage. He tried to draw comfort from his memories as sobs of grief wracked his body but they only seemed to make it more painful.

The sun set on the horizon and still Epicurus remained clutching desperately onto his pocket watch, oblivious to the rest of the world. As night set in a shadow snaked in through the tent flap, it coiled and writhed like a serpent towards Epicurus, though he appeared unaware of it. Epicurus slowly got to his feet and staggered towards an old oil lamp. The shadow snaked closer and closer, accellerating towards it's prey. Epicurus fumbled with the matches to strike his oil lamp's wick. The snake reached its target and leapt fangs of moonlight gleaming in its maw. Epicurus stumbled down to pick up the matches he dropped and in doing so, dodged the snake by accident. The snake sailed through the air over Epicurus and swallowed an imperial gold spear, its point staking the snake through it's innards. It shuddered and hissed as it turned to dust and returned to Tartarus.

Epicurus' hands trembled as he lit the oil lamp and banished the looming shadows of night. He sat down on the couch and wrapped himself in the comforter from his wife and his old bed, trying to insulate himself from his grief as he closed his eyes and tried to sleep.

---End Thread---
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Life Turned Upside Down   A Life Turned Upside Down Empty

Back to top Go down

A Life Turned Upside Down
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Rise and Fall of Heroes :: In Character :: The Library of Alexandria :: The Archives-
Jump to: